Friday-Saturday-Sunday November 4-5-6, 2016: Weekend Art/Life Retreat at CX Silver Gallery, Brattleboro, Vermont
Participatory/Performance Art · Communal Cooking Lessons · Workshops · Training · Conversation as Art
You are cordially invited to an Art / Life retreat weekend of activities with performance artists Linda Mary Montano, Nye Ffarrabas, and Cai Xi, Friday evening November 4th through Sunday midday November 6th, 2016 at the C.X. Silver Gallery, Brattleboro, VT with a visit to the Michael S. Currier Center at The Putney School.
Linda Mary Montano lindamontano.com and Nye Ffarrabas cxsilvergallery.com/nye-ffarrabas have been exploring and dissolving the boundaries between art and life for six decades each. Cai’s art-life journey is now in its fifth decade caixiart.com. Together they will be presenting art / life audience participation experiences along with Cai’s art-as-food-as-art. The schedule of activities includes a variety of group and 1-to-1 performance pieces, individualized training, reiki, intuitive readings, art / life counseling, contemplation, tai chi, qi gong, Five Elements exploration, and food preparation with communal dining as performance pieces.
There are concurrent exhibitions of all three artists. This occasion features the preview of a new book on Linda’s 14 Years of Art/Life, with an exhibition that includes drawings, installations and archival photographs. A selection from Nye’s 50-year retrospective of art pieces, poetry and writings, cxsilvergallery.com/nye-ffarrabas includes the 50th anniversary of the Egg-Time Event which is featured in Nye’s book, a walk on the inside magcloud.com/browse/issue/756374. Cai Xi’s Retrospective 1980-2015 of portraits, landscapes and abstracts is on view nearby at the Michael S. Currier Center, Putney School. At C.X. Silver Gallery, Cai’s installation includes her recent piece on the Chinese Five Elements.
Schedule of activities for the weekend:
Friday, 11/4: 6pm: Arrival, C.X. Silver Gallery, 814 Western Avenue, Brattleboro, VT. 6-7pm: Light meal provided by Cai. 7-9pm: Sessions – Meditation with Linda; Poetry and Reiki with Nye; Opening the Meridians with Cai.
Saturday, 11/5: All day at C.X. Silver Gallery: 7:30-9am: Breakfast and conversation. 9-10am: Tai chi and Qigong with Cai. 10am-6pm: Sessions: Art/Life Counseling with Linda; Poetry and intuitive readings with Nye; Communal meal and preparation including cooking lessons with Cai. 6-9pm: Buffet, conversation and closure for the day’s activities.
Sunday, 11/6: 7:30-9am: Breakfast/conversation at C.X. Silver Gallery. 9:00-9:30am: Car pool to The Putney School. 9:30am-12pm: Sessions at the Michael S. Currier Center, The Putney School, 418 Houghton Brook Road, Putney, VT: Tai chi and Qigong with Cai · Art/Life Counseling with Linda · Stone activities and reiki with Nye · viewing Cai’s retrospective exhibition · Closure for the weekend’s activities. For further information, contact Adam Silver, 802-257-7898 · firstname.lastname@example.org
* 3-Day Package: $230, (early bird special $210: register by Nov. 1)
* Friday only: $30; Saturday only: $195; Sunday only: $20
* Sliding scale and scholarships available upon request.
* Limited airBnB lodging available on site at a reduced rate for retreat participants.
Photo credits: Annie Sprinkle (Linda); Judith Hill-Weld (Nye); Adam Silver (Cai).
- Clara Rose Thornton, 2014 Dublin (Ireland) Slam Poetry Champion whose work examines memory, lust, social justice and racial injustice.
- Nye Ffarrabas, innovator and word alchemist, active since the New York Fluxus scene of the 1960s.
- Alec Silver, actor and enthusiast of language.
Photo credits: Aidan Murphy (Clara Rose Thornton); Judith Hill-Weld (Nye Ffarrabas); Jacqueline Wills (Alec Silver).
- Location: C.X. Silver Gallery, 814 Western Avenue, Brattleboro, VT. Parking: curbside.
- Free event, open to the public, all welcome. No tickets needed. BYOB
- Contact and RSVP: (802) 257-7898 ext. 2 – or – info [at] cxsilvergallery [dot] com
- You can also register at spoken-word-showcase-Dec2014.eventbrite.com.
- The event is also on Facebook: “spoken word showcase”.